TB 2013 not an upgrade

General chat about Title Bout, boxing or anything else of general interest.

Moderator: Infinity

aurelio94118

TB 2013 not an upgrade

Post by aurelio94118 »

I do not think TB2013 is an improvement over TB2.5. The new game changes the screen backgrounds to look grungier than the old ones which is not necessarily an improvement. There are other problems with TB2013 which I consider downgrades.

In TB2.5 you can list fighters by ACTVE, RETIRED or ALL. In TB2013, you can only select ACTIVE or RETIRED, as there is no ALL option.

I have played around with the new auto-scheduler, but cannot get it to auto-schedule more than one fight at a time. Also, I am not allowed to enter MAX RATING and MIN RATING fields for opponents.

I created over two dozen custom title belts for use with TB2.5, but there is no TITLEBELTS subfolder in the IMAGES folder in TB2013. It appears I cannot use my custom titlebelts.

Also, the new game never closes cleanly. When I try to exit, it crashes.

I have abandoned TB2013 and returned to TB2.5 which I think is a better game.
Paul Norman
Site Admin

Re: TB 2013 not an upgrade

Post by Paul Norman »

I am sorry to hear you do not like the new version. I understand everyone has their own taste and change takes time to become comfortable. I hope you keep an eye on the game as you might like what we do in the future.

You can show all the fighters not just the active and retired ones by simply turning off the active or retired filter you have selected. If the menu says "Active" or "Retired" open the menu and de-select the line with the green tick to the left. The menu now says "Filter" showing no filter is selected.

As for the Auto-scheduler, I am only guessing as you don;t provide a lot of detail. If the max/min ratings are greyed out is it because you have a single fighter selected for that corner? If so the filter options are not valid as you have already chosen your fighter for that corner. This would explain why you have one fight, as you probably have the "Only Schedule Fighters Once" option ticked on the general tab. If my guessing is wrong, please give me more information on what you are doing. FYI the auto-scheduler controls do the same as they did on TB2.5.

In order to use your own belt images in the game you need to replace the images found in "My Documents/tbcb2013/data/images/organisations". Then restart the game and you should see them instead.

I am concerned about the exit crash, what version of windows do you use? Can you provide me with any further information?

I know the new skin might not be to everyone's liking which is why the game is fully skinable. Not only can the graphics be changed but the controls moved around the screen using the xml page layout system. I am working with the community to increase the skinning option so that a skin with single press buttons can be created.... Watch this space...

If you are interested in looking at the skinning:
http://www.pisd.co.uk/docs/skinning_basics.html

Here is the game manual:
http://tbcb.pisd.co.uk/tbcb2013/TBCB%20 ... Manual.pdf
Cap

Post by Cap »

Sorry to say, Paul, but the skinning process is much too complicated for those of us who are technically challenged and don't have the ambition to improve vs doing other things with our precious free time. We do however greatly appreciate your astounding gifts in that area and encourage you to work towards crafting a more user friendly interface. :)

No surrender.

Cap
Paul Norman
Site Admin

Post by Paul Norman »

hehehe, tnx cap... I understand your point which is why I am looking at improving the skinning interface, but be under no illusion, if you want to use all the features of the skinning, such as the xml files it will always be complex by the nature of what it does!

I have designed a system which will allow you to change a menu item into a single button. Once implemented this should enable those brave skinners to create an almost identical look/feel to 2.5!
Cap

Post by Cap »

After you've redesigned the Fight Screen, the only thing left to do is change the font for the boxers' names so it's easier to read and fits in the available space when they have longish names like Phineas Basil-Smythe Philpott. :)

Cap
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

Paul,

Perhaps making skins made by those brave souls that are good at it available for download from the game would be the key. Then one would simply download it, with the game putting it all in the right place, so a person could change skins at will from a library of user created content? In the long run that may be the "easy button" for folks like Cap and myself who are not into programming and skinning.
Paul Norman
Site Admin

Post by Paul Norman »

I like the idea of an exchange system for pics/tbdx files/skins and what ever else we customise... the problem is if I integrate it into the game or PISD servers there might be a legal issue if a skin contains copyrighted or objectional material. I think the best solution would be if someone setup a fan site to act as a central database for all these customisable bits and I will create a link to the site.

If its needed, I could create a little installer to "patch" these mods into an existing install.
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

Another option, as I cannot afford the cost of a website, would be to host the skins, but have someone take a look at them before they are released to the public. That would allow the skins to be reviewed first, checked for virus's etc before the public gets to see them.
Paul Norman
Site Admin

Post by Paul Norman »

I have no idea what they are like, but a quick google search gave me http://www.000webhost.com/ who offer $0 web hosting...
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

Just checked it out, free domain name and various other free features, but the web hosting is $4.84 a month for the cheapest package. And they expect the 12 months up front for that discount. Most "free sites" load up the pages with so much advertising that it drives users away I've found over the years. I'll consider it however for the good of the community, just don't have the funds right now to pay for a site.